FEDIAF has produced a nutritional guideline which members follow; the FEDIAF Nutritional Guidelines for Complete and Complementary Pet Food for Cats and Dogs. This is a comprehensive review of the NRC data and other existing science produced as a practical guide for manufacturers. The guidelines are peer re-viewed by independent veterinary nutritionists throughout Europe. Version 2021 has just been released!
The objectives of FEDIAF’s Guidelines for Complete and Complementary Pet Foods for Cats and Dogs are:
- To confirm the basic nutrient levels required in cat and dog food and the industry adhere to these when manufacturing their wide range of products and recipes under biochemical, bacteriological and organoleptic control.
- To help pet food manufacturers assess the nutritional value of practical pet foods for healthy animals.
- To act as the reference document on pet nutrition in Europe for EU and local authorities, consumer organisations, professional and customers
- To enhance cooperation between pet food manufacturers, pet care professionals and competent authorities by providing scientifically sound information on the formulation and assessment of pet foods.
- To complement FEDIAF’s Guide to Good Practice for the Manufacture of Safe Pet Foods and the FEDIAF’s Guide to Good Practice for Communication on Pet Food.
Please be advised that this publication and their parts are protected by copyright. They may be duplicated for use in companies, by authorities or for private use. Any commercial use is prohibited and may only be allowed on a written application and after a written permission may have been granted by FEDIAF.
FEDIAF also works closely with numerous other recognised authorities such as the American Association of Food Control Officers (AAFCO) plus internationally respected nutritionists, vets, biochemists and animal behaviourists, in order to keep up to date on the latest science and feeding requirements of pets.
FEDIAF EXPERT REVIEW – CARBOHYDRATES
In 2019, FEDIAF’s Scientific Advisory Board has prepared a Carbohydrate Expert Review – providing their definition, structure and analytical, functional and nutritional classification. Please download the statement here.
FEDIAF STATEMENT – NUTRITION OF SENIOR DOGS
In addition, FEDIAF’s Scientific Advisory Board has issued a statement on nutrition of senior dogs – with a view to extended life expectancy of pets this statement was seen as important to explain the nutritional requirements of senior dogs. Please download the statement here.
NUTRITIONAL GUIDELINES FOR PET RABBITS
As for cats and dogs, FEDIAF has developed Nutritional Guidelines for Pet Rabbits. Please click here for the FEDIAF Nutritional Guidelines for Feeding Pet Rabbits.