We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated individual to assume the role of Secretary General for our association. The successful candidate will play a crucial role in managing the day-to-day operations of the association while also taking on responsibilities related to public affairs. This position requires excellent organizational, communication, and leadership skills, as well as a strong understanding of public affairs strategies.
1) Association Management:
- Lead a strong Secretariat team to develop and implement the association’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Oversee and manage all aspects of the association’s operations, ensuring smooth functioning and adherence to policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate strong leadership collaborating with the board of directors and the executive committee.
- Ensure a favourable, non-discriminatory regulatory environment for the European Pet Food Industry, either through legislation or voluntarily accepted rules.
- Coordinate and lead meetings, including preparing agendas, taking minutes, and distributing relevant materials.
- Proactively manage the relationship with national associations to ensure a strong lobbying position.
- With the support of the administrative colleague, maintain accurate records and files, including membership data, financial documents, and legal records.
- Manage the association’s budget, monitor expenses, and provide regular financial reports to the Treasurer and board.
- Manage the evolution of the Association, envisaging trends and future opportunities and/or risks for the Pet Food Industry.
- Annual performance and development review of all staff members with measurable achievements and key goals.
2) Public Affairs & Communications:
- Develop and execute public affairs strategies to enhance the association’s visibility, reputation, and influence.
- To proactively establish and maintain a good relationship with the key decision-makers in European bodies, government officials, stakeholders, and relevant industry organizations to advocate for the association’s goals.
- Adequate representation of the European Pet Food Industry beyond the legislatives bodies in Europe, e.g., other associations, scientific bodies, NGO’s etc
- Monitor legislative and regulatory developments that impact the association’s industry, and prepare policy briefs and position statements accordingly.
- Plan and coordinate public events, including conferences, seminars, and media engagements, to promote the association’s initiatives and policy priorities.
- Monitor media coverage and serve as the association’s spokesperson, representing the organization in public forums, media interviews, and other public-facing activities, in a timely and professional manner.
- Oversee the association’s internal and external communications, ensuring consistent messaging.
- Background in Legal, Political Science or business with strong experience in the European legislative environment.
- Deep and relevant work experience, preferably, but not exclusively, in trade associations, consultancy, corporate affairs or EU administration
- Strong strategic and leadership capabilities.
- Good communicator and ability to establish relationships at all levels, internally and externally.
- Able to understand and contribute to complex scientific-technical dossiers.
- Excellent oral and written English, with ideally 1 or 2 other European languages, and the ability to tailor messages to different audiences. French is a plus.
- Ability to operate independently and under pressure.
- Skilled in workload and priority management.
- Computer literate, including use of websites, social media, etc
- Strong knowledge of public affairs strategies, legislative processes, and regulatory frameworks. Familiarity with the industry or sector related to the association’s focus is a plus.
If you are a highly motivated individual with a passion for association management and public affairs, and you possess the necessary skills and qualifications, we invite you to submit your application.
Please submit your resume, along with a cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and explaining why you are interested in this position. Applications can be sent to email@example.com. The application deadline is the 30th of September 2023. We appreciate all applications, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. See www.europeanpetfood.org for further information about the association/sector.